Monday, March 31, 2008

loss absorption


I will begin by recapping something which happened to me back in September. It began with waking up feeling a bit nauseous, and ended with a trip to the ER several hours later; well, at least one would think that’s where it ended.

Don’t worry, I’m fine, but the aftermath of my experience has truly woken me up to the realities of our health care system in this country. I should also add a disclaimer saying I do not know much of the propositions of any of the candidate on this issue, and I’m not sure at this point how to get out of this frightful mess, so I will not profess I have the final answer to this health care nightmare. That all being said, here’s a breakdown of my experience.

June 16th, 2007 – I officially graduate from UCLA, thereby beginning my tender first steps to the “adult world,” and also thereby losing all my health coverage which until you graduate, is covered by your parents health coverage (assuming they have it).

June 18th, 2007 – At the urging of my parents (despite thinking it a terrific waste of money at the time), I purchase ‘interim’ health insurance from UCLA amid advertisements from the Alumni Association about what great coverage I was getting and for such a good cost. ($90 per month, major medical only)

September 25th, 2007 – I wake up feeling a bit sick, but brush it off. On my drive to work I get violently ill. Once at work I tell my boss I have to go to the doctor because I think I have food poisoning. After debating with them for a while I finally go to the doctor, where I can only see a nurse because all the doctors at the office are booked with appointments and do not have scheduled times for emergencies. I was told I had food poisoning, to get some rest and it will clear up in a few days.

September 26th, 2007 (1AM) – Far too sick to be any food poisoning I have ever known, I am unable to even drive myself to the ER, so I call my dad to take me to the hospital. I am seen by a triage nurse who also believes it is food poisoning, and told there will be a substantial wait since my case is not urgent.

September 26th, 2007 (3AM) – After getting so sick I can’t even raise my head, I am finally taken back to see the doctor, who diagnoses me in about 2 minutes with not food poisoning, but a severe case of vertigo. (No, not the movie, which seems to be the almost universal first response when I get to this part of the story) I am given 3 bags of IV fluids and medication, 3 different oral medications, and told if it didn’t get any better in a few days I would have to follow up with my own doctor.

September 30th, 2007 – Still no change in vertigo (pills given to me by the ER doctor very ineffectual, especially since they turned out to be OVER THE COUNTER DRAMAMINE, but in a prescription bottle, which apparently made them cost 3 times more). I call my own doctor and over the phone she prescribes a heavy dose of decongestants which kicked in finally and I begin to feel better.

October 1st, 2007 – My health insurance from my new job kicks in (just in time, right?)

November 26th, 2007 – I get my first hospital bill; $5,000. $5,000!!!!!!!!! Then I get a doctor’s bill ($800), bills for the IVs ($50/each), for the lab to process my blood test ($300), and an extra fee for $200 because I was seen at the ER “after hours” which began at 10PM. Oh, and my insurance from UCLA’s deductible was $8,000. I guess when they said ‘major medical only’ they REALLY meant ‘major medical only’.

Here’s the real kicker and the point I’ve been building towards. Despite saying on their bills that financial assistance was offered and payment plans could be discussed, upon calling the hospital, I was told that there was nothing they could do to help me and I owed all the money that was listed or else they would turn me over to a collection agency. I was told, point blank, by the hospital, that the reason my bill was so high was because I had insurance.

What? Apparently, there are so many patients that come for emergency care without insurance (and they have to, by law, treat them anyway), the hospital purposely inflates the bills of patients with insurance, to try and get more money out of the insurance company, to fill the gap with how many uninsured patients they have to treat. It was just too bad that my insurance sucked so much.

Now, I was able to talk my way down to about $4,000 total for all the bills, but that still doesn’t mean I have $4000. I am barely out of college, did not make much money at work, had school and car payments (not to mention car insurance), and have now been hit with this debt which I will be paying off for a long time to come, because most other people don’t pay for insurance.

Now I of course believe that everyone should get medical treatment when it is an emergency, no matter if they have insurance or not, no matter if they have money or not, but the drain on the health care system (ERs mostly) comes primarily from non-emergent cases such as people not paying for health insurance, then going in when they have a cold. My father, who worked in an ER for 10 years and saw these abuses every day, confirmed this. He even spoke with a woman once who was very proud that she had found a way to cheat the system which meant she didn’t have to pay for insurance for her 5 children; when one of them way sick she would simply take them to County Medical Center and tell them she had no insurance, no money, and then give a fake address. The hospital had thus far just written her off as a charity case and they never paid a cent to the hospital. Incidentally, she drove a brand-new Mercedes when my dad spoke to her.

Most of the problem lies in the lack of affordable insurance and the bureaucracy of the entire system coupled with a lack of doctors and nurses, facilities and equipment (oh and don’t get me started on drug companies). But even if these problems are addressed, there will still be people who feed off the system because they are allowed to. The more we are willing to just ‘absorb the loss’ of some, and then translate it to overcharging others, the more screwed-up we are going to make the situation. This isn’t a problem exclusive to ethnicities or immigration status, either, although all these topics collide in one mushy mess. I really think universal health care would be the best way to ultimately solve the problem, circumstances what they are, but even it is not a total fix. But until we get even there, there has to be a fundamental change in people’s attitudes about taking more than what they are entitled to and feeling justified in doing so. Although, maybe we’ll see coverage for everyone before people start taking responsibility for themselves. All I know is when the hospital billing department asked me why I didn’t lie and say I had no insurance, I told her I didn’t because it was wrong. I really hope more people will do that when they’re in my shoes.



Commend this post to Digg.

4 comments:

catherine said...

Which brings us to my issue with any national health care plan that doesn't require people to be insured (like Obama's). Say what you will about free will and not forcing people, etc., but universal health care will only work if everyone's a part of it. Otherwise, people will only buy in when they need the health care, which will drive up premium prices all around.

Another reason why emergency rooms are so expensive is that people who can't afford insurance also can't afford preventative care and so they're in much worse shape when they show up in the ER.

Greg Katz said...

I don't think even a mandatory insurance system, which is favored by many Democrats (including Hillary Clinton) and even some Republicans (including Mitt Romney), would fix the problem. It would just mean that a lot of people who couldn't afford good policies would buy crummy policies that don't cover the things they really need.

Regardless of what insurance fix is eventually adopted – at the national, state, or even county level – the more I think about it, the more it seems that health education is the answer. Instilling the value of exercise, showing people how to keep track of their bodies and the way they function, and most importantly, teaching what foods are good for you, are vital to maintaining a healthy populace.

I find it extremely worrisome that studies have begun to indicate that the price of fresh vegetables is increasing and the price of junk food decreasing. If people – particularly poor people – are economically incentivized to eat more junk, we are only going to magnify the health crisis we are now facing.

Emma Gallegos said...

The Things That Matter, indeed. Health care. Oy.

See, I don't really blame people for gaming the system. The whole health care (non)system is uber-arbitrary. You, for instance, lost the game because you paid your fair share into the health care insurance pool and told the truth. How dare you!

And I know that lying is, like, wrong and stuff, but $5,000 is also a lot (and I'm sorry!). I'm not condoning it, but why wouldn't someone lie to save a few thousand? The hospital was "gaming" the insurance company who "gamed" you. Why wouldn't people play along with the "game"?

And then other people might be "gaming" the ER, because they got denied legit insurance for really arbitrary reasons. Maybe Mercedes lady had some weird genetic disease passed onto her children that no insurer will touch. Ok, probably not. But, honestly, you never know.

I'm with Greg: health care should be preventative and holistic.

And we should have a single-payer system, but maybe that requires its own post...

Alfred Lee said...

Regardless of whatever flaws a new health insurance system would have, I think that saying health education is "the answer" is stretching it.

Also, could anyone explain to me how mandatory insurance would be enforced?

Lastly, I'm all too familiar with hospitals in Korea, and the difference in terms of care/efficiency/insurance coverage is astonishing. It doesn't make up for monsoon season though. Or the god-awful drivers there. Holy crap, Korean drivers are the worst.